Wednesday 23 February 2011

Music and Playing through Life...



I used to play the tin-whistle when I was in primary school. Breathing problems didn’t help, but I loved playing some tunes with my Generation woodwind instrument. My music teacher showed us how to write down our songs if they were a high or a low note, and we knew our keys on the six holes. It was very easy to batter though. Sure we were young; we didn’t think we were damaging it by banging it against the school desk.



These days, I purchased a nice Susato plastic whistle a few months, with a cool book of Irish tunes to try out. For some reason, I keep thinking of this as a tin-whistle. It comes from the same wind instrument family, but more contemporary. I had good intentions of beginning again, but it has not happened yet.

Recently, my best friend Shane got me a Tin-Whistle booklet for my birthday. A week later, I was looking through my book shelf for a college book, and low and behold, my lovely Susato was standing there…



What was I doing to this poor whistle, leaving it there, gathering dust? I blew through it so loudly for a few seconds. It felt brilliant! Like, wow! It had me thinking about everything I’ve ever tried accomplishing, and giving up. Story of my life. I think it’s a fear of failure, so I fail before even trying. Well, if I really put my mind to it, practice my breathing and my tunes, I am so sure I will be playing up there with Darragh and the other Irish Traditional musicians in a couple of months.

***



In other news, I am currently learning my lines for a one act play by Chekhov called “The Proposal”. But, there is one difference. It will be entirely “as Gaeilge” (in Irish). I am not as good to the point where I know every line, as it was my first time to practice it on the stage yesterday. But I was reassured that it will come to me on the day when we will have to perform.

The last time I had to act in something, I was a nervous teenager, had a silly grin on me because people were looking at me, and had a massive crush on one of the guys on stage. Yup, dangerous! I do still get nervous and red-faced when other people are looking at me, but I am a bit surer of myself. It’s tough when you’re overweight though.

***

And now, here’s some randomness for you… Do you know the “Peigín Leitir Móir” traditional song? Well, someone from somewhere got this stuck in my head, and I find it so funny and it makes me smile. Most of you won’t get it, so ask me if you don’t and I’ll explain. Enjoy!

“O pócaí pócaí
A deir Peigín Leitir Móir,
Gan pingin i mo phócaí
O thosaigh mise ag ól.”
(O pockets pockets, Said Peigin Lettermore, No pennies in my pockets Since I started drinking.)



Love, M x

1 comment:

DigitalDarragh said...

well, when you want a few lessons just give me a shout. It would be great to see you stuck into a session!